We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.

Back to top

Housing register supporting documents

To enable us to make a full assessment of your application, it is important that you provide all documentation as stated below so we can verify your eligibility to join our housing register.

Please note that we will not be able to process your application without all the documentation and a fully completed application form.

1. Two proofs of identity for each adult applicant (one of which should confirm your immigration status)

  • passports (current and valid)
  • full birth certificates.
  • immigration documents from Home Office confirming your status
  • full driving licence (current address)
  • photo provisional driving license only current address (paper form is not accepted)
  • marriage certificate / civil partnership certificate
  • divorce papers from the court
  • residence permit
  • NHS medical card (current address)
  • award letter from the Department for Work and Pensions / JobCentre Plus
  • naturalisation document

2. Two proofs of address

  • utility bills eg gas, electricity, water etc with current address (mobile telephone bills are excluded).
  • proof of savings eg bank / building society statements with current address
  • award letter from the Department for Work and Pensions / JobCentre Plus / Pension Service with current address
  • letters from official bodies eg council tax, housing benefit, schools, hospitals, solicitors, social services etc
  • other relevant documents with the current address eg mortgage statement, discharge papers for ex-armed forces, etc

3. Dependant children

  • full birth certificates (mandatory)
  • custody papers, adoption papers or court residence order
  • child benefit award letter at current address (mandatory)
  • evidence of child’s school eg headed letter with child’s name and address on it

4. EEA (European Economic Area) nationals

  • Accession Workers Authorisation Certificate or registration certificate (Croatian nationals only)
  • Accession Work Card or a Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme (SAWS), (Bulgarian and Romanian nationals only)
  • wage slips within the past 12 months with name and address of employer
  • self-employed – certified accounts, last 12mths bank statements
  • national identity card (mandatory)

5. Proof of income for each adult

  • 5 weekly, 2 monthly or 3 fortnightly consecutive pay slips
  • award letters from the Department for Work and Pensions / JobCentre Plus / Pension Service
  • tax credit award letter
  • self-employed trading accounts for the last financial year and tax returns
  • student loan / grant award letters
  • occupation pension
  • other income

6. Savings and capital

  • last 2 months consecutive bank statements for all accounts
  • certificates of premium bonds, national savings certificates, ISAs, stocks, shares and unit trusts

7. Evidence of tenancy

  • tenancy agreement
  • rent book
  • letter from landlord / agent
  • letter from the host
  • rent receipts (bed and breakfast and hotels only)

8. Evidence of National Insurance number

  • National Insurance card
  • award letters from the Department for Work and Pensions / Job Centre Plus / Pension Service
  • P60, P45 or pay slip
Page updated on: 27 June 2019

Housing Register Team


Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY