One You fitness updates
- Wednesday, 8-9pm box fit with Hezron at Frampton Park is now running
- Thursday tai chi for mobility is 11am - 12 noon at Core Clapton
- Friday 9.30am, gentle pilates with Zoraima at Geffrye Estate is changed to fit and strong women with Claudia
- Friday 5-6pm family Brazilian workout with Zoraima at Haggerston has changed to familly street dance with Matea
New OpenPlay app
If you'd like to improve your diet, be more active or take up a new hobby, Healthy Hackney can help you.
- fitness classes - from One You
- free cook and eat courses - from One You
- free community meals - from One You
- Health coaches
- Hackney Green Gym
- Health Heroes primary school grants programme
- Health, exercise and nutrition for the really young (HENRY)
- Social prescribing service
- MakeKit recipe packs
- Get Hackney Healthy
Our One You £1 community fitness classes take place in community venues across the borough. They're just £1 and are aimed at residents and people who work in Hackney, from children to older adults.
They run alongside the national Public Health England One You campaign to encourage residents to get fitter, eat healthier and feel better and they're open to all Hackney residents. With over 60 classes per week on 26 estates in Hackney there's something for everyone from Box Fit to Zumba, kids' karate to family street dance.
You can find and book your class on the new OpenPlay app, download the registration form [pdf, 1.52Mb] or complete one at the centre.
Regular physical activity can reduce your risk of breast cancer by up to 20%, dementia, depression and colon cancer by up to 30%, cardiovascular disease by up to 35%, type 2 diabetes by up to 40% and hip fractures by up to 68% - Public Health England.
Hear from resident Dessy about what motivated her to take part in the programme:
Want to eat well but feel limited by budget, inspiration or cooking skills? Our fun and supportive One You classes can help inspire you to cook affordable, nutritious food for you or your family. Taking place over 6 weeks the courses cover a range of techniques and recipes. The sessions are aimed at adults and families and end with a sit down meal you prepare. Courses are free and booking is essential.
They're delivered by local providers including Made in Hackney and Shoreditch Trust. To book your place on a free course contact: email@example.com, 020 8442 4266 or firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 7033 8529.
Free community meals
Weekly One You food surplus community lunches and dinners that are open to residents. Come along for a delicious freshly cooked meal from food that's been donated rather than wasted. You can also volunteer to help prepare or help set up the meals.
- New Kingshold Estate Community Centre, 49 Ainsworth Road, E9 7JE, Thursdays, 12.45pm - community lunch from FoodCycle; for more information on meals or volunteering opportunities, contact Jack at Foodcycle on 07483900492, or email@example.com.
- Redmond Centre, Fridays 6pm - community meals with Red Moon Roots, Weekly free surplus food community meals; contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Do you want to become fitter and healthier? Do you need some support? Get regular support, motivation and encouragement from a health coach in one of three Hackney locations while you work out what you want, create an action plan and work towards it achieving it. Your goals could include losing weight, building exercise into your weekly routine, learning new life skills or meeting new people.
If you're a Hackney resident, you can access to up to 12 one-hour sessions spread over four months for free. To find out more please contact your local coach:
- New Kingshold Community Centre, 49 Ainsworth Road (off Well Street), London E9 7JE - Jo Evans, email@example.com or 07584 597 885 or Teresa Buckland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shoreditch Trust Healthy Living Centre, 170 Pitfield Street, London N1 6JP - Teresa Buckland, email@example.com or 07584 598 086
- Stamford Hill Community Centre, Stamford Hill, London N16 6RZ - Jo Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org or 07584 604 242
Fridays, 10.45am-2pm - meet outside Nye Bevan Lower Community Hall, Overbury Street, E5 0AW
Get physically active and make a difference to your local environment. Activities take place at The Middlesex Filter Beds Nature Reserve in Hackney. If you're a resident, you can join Green Gym for free.
Tasks are designed for a variety of fitness levels and emphasise improving mental and physical well being. Contact Ben Harris at email@example.com or 07989 167 831 to find out more or join. It's run by TCV (The Conservation Volunteers) in partnership with the Council.
We have been piloting the Health Heroes project in several of the borough's primary schools since 2013/14 and have tested a number of interventions from food growing and gardening, to playground zoning and lunch-time sports activities.
We also launched a new grants programme, where schools can bid for match funding to run projects to help create healthy weight environments within schools by either increasing physical activity, or improving access to and/or knowledge of healthy food.
The first round of grants applications have now closed. If you require any additional information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Read the Health Heroes evaluation report [pdf, 994.56Kb] .
HENRY is a free 8-week healthy lifestyle and parenting programme for parents and carers with 0-5 year olds. Sessions run in venues across Hackney. For more information please tel: 020 7683 409, or email: email@example.com.
Improve your health and wellbeing with our social prescribing service, giving you access to activities, social groups, services and advice, based on your needs and interests. Make an appointment today and speak to a family action wellbeing co-ordinator who works at your local GP surgery in Hackney - ring Family Action on 0207 249 8109.
MakeKit is a Hackney social enterprise that produces affordable healthy recipe kits for local residents. Each kit contains everything you need to make a nutritious meal at home, including ready-measured ingredients and an easy-to-follow recipe. A four person family kit is £10.55 and a two person one is £6.55. Click and collect is available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at Fellows Court Community Centre, Haggerston E2 8LR.
Make Kit is being supported by our Healthier Hackney Fund, which provides funding and support to groups looking to make Hackney healthier. Order your first pack today or follow them on Twitter: @makekitfood.
We've developed two documents as part of our cross-cutting Get Hackney Healthy work, which aims to promote healthy lifestyles for children and families.
The early years settings and children's centre healthy weight guidance helps early years settings create environments where children can maintain a healthy weight and provides information on our healthy living and obesity services and advice on how to evaluate any services you commission.
The Hackney childhood obesity framework: 0-5 provides a vision for working in partnership to reduce childhood obesity and includes national and local data alongside information on healthy weight services available for under 5s across the system.
- early years settings and children's centre healthy weight guidance [pdf, 7.37Mb]
- Hackney childhood obesity framework: 0-5 [pdf, 370.17Kb]
Sign up to change4life for helpful information, recipes, tools, tips, and games for kids.