£1 fitness classes updates
- Chair-based Exercise with Silvia at Geffrye has moved to Napier Grove, Mondays, 2-3pm
- Zumba/Tone with Viktoriia at Stamford Hill has moved to Guiness Social Club, near Tollgate Medical Practice, 9.20am on Tuesdays
- 55+ Dance and Stretch with Zoraima on Mondays has moved to Thursdays at Napier Grove Community Centre, 1.30-2.30pm
- Boxing for Men (beginners) with Josh has moved to Napier Grove Tuesdays, 7.30-8.30pm and Thursdays, 6.30-7.30pm
If you'd like to improve your diet, be more active or take up a new hobby, Healthy Hackney can help you.
- One You £1 community-based fitness classes
- One You free cook and eat courses
- One You free community meals
- Health coaches
- Hackney Green Gym
- Health Heroes primary school grants programme
- Health, exercise and nutrition for the really young (HENRY)
- Social prescribing service
- MakeKit recipe packs
- Get Hackney Healthy
- New Age Games - sport and physical activities for Hackney residents aged 50+
Regular physical activity can reduce your risk of breast cancer by up to 20%, dementia, depression and colon cancer by up to 30%, cardiovascular disease by up to 35%, type 2 diabetes by up to 40% and hip fractures by up to 68%. ( Public Health England).
One You community classes is our programme of fitness and 'cook and eat' courses taking place in community venues across Hackney. It's running alongside the national Public Health England One You campaign to encourage residents to get fitter, eat healthier and feel better.
The classes are just £1 or a donation and are aimed at children and adults. You can just turn up and fill in a brief registration form. See the timetables below for the latest classes and more information contact Henry Muss on 020 8356 6326 or email email@example.com.
- ballroom dance - an intermediate class that practices popular ballroom styles including salsa, foxtrot, waltz and rumba
- Box-Fit - fitness circuits that include boxing pad work
- boxing for men (beginners) with Josh and Des - get into shape with all over body training, improve your self-confidence and learn self-defence skills our inspirational coaches
- body conditioning - improve your core strength and tone up
- capoeira - a martial art combining dance, acrobatics and music
- cardio pilates to music - a dynamic pilates class that works lower body, upper body and core to music
- chair-based fitness - seated keep fit for people with mobility issues
- cheerleading - learn basic cheerleading skills such as stunting (lifting people), tumbling (flips), chants and dance while improving your flexibility; for ages 7-11, with Hera Williams
- family street dance - fun for all the family, great atmosphere, great tunes and chance to bond with your kids all ages welcome.
- family Zumba - a dance fitness class for all the family
- Fit to Tone - a mix of circuit and core strength activities
- fitness circuits - circuit training that can incorporate free weights and steps
- judo - the traditional martial art that's great for self-defence and fitness
- Legs, Bums and Tums - an all round work out to tone and strengthen
- Moving and Juicing with Michelle - an hour of aerobic and core workout followed by a juicing session to help get your seven a day
- pilates - strengthens the body evenly, emphasising core strength to improve general fitness and wellbeing
- yoga - postures to align your body and mind while improving core strength
- Zumba and Brazilian dance - a fun dance class for all levels
- Zumba / Tone - a mixture of body conditioning and dance
Timetable and venue map
- fitness classes winter timetable - 11 September to 15 December [pdf, 955.02Kb]
- fitness classes autumn timetable - zone A [pdf, 720.14Kb]
- fitness classes autumn timetable - zone B [pdf, 977.82Kb]
- fitness classes autumn timetable - zone C [pdf, 822.68Kb]
The fitness classes are open to all Hackney residents. Please complete a registration form or fill one in at your session.
Want to eat well but feel limited by budget, inspiration or cooking skills? These fun and supportive classes can help inspire you to cook affordable, nutritious food for you or your family. Taking place over six weeks the courses cover a range of techniques and recipes, sessions are aimed at adults and families - bring the kids - and end with a sit down meal you prepare. Courses are free and booking is essential.
They're delivered by local providers including Made in Hackney, Shoreditch Trust and Helping Hackney Health. To find out more, or to book a place on call: 020 8356 6326 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
One You - free community meals
Weekly food surplus community lunches and dinners that are open to residents. Come along for a delicious freshly cooked meal from food that's been donated rather than wasted. You can also volunteer to help prepare or help set up the meals.
Community lunch from FoodCycle
Thursdays, 12.45pm, New Kingshold Estate Community Centre, 49 Ainsworth Road, E9 7JE
For more information on meals or volunteering opportunities, contact Jack at Foodcycle on 07483900492, or email@example.com at New Kingshold Community Centre.
Community dinner from Red Moon Roots
Fridays, 6pm, 3 November to 15 December, Redmond Community Centre, Kayani Avenue, N4 2F
For more information on meals or volunteering opportunities, contact Kristina at Red Moon Roots on 07538 906477 at the Redmond Centre, Woodberry Down.
Do you want to become fitter and healthier? Do you need some support to make these changes? You can work with a health coach in one of three locations in Hackney to work out what you want, create a health action plan and work towards it achieving it. Our health coaches offer a listening ear and provide support, motivation and encouragement as you make lifestyle changes to improve your health and wellbeing. You can meet your coach regularly to discuss progress towards your goals, learn from their expertise and make the most of the local services and opportunities available to you.
Your goals could include losing weight, building exercise into your weekly routine, learning new life skills or meeting new people. As a Hackney resident, you can access to up to 12 one-hour sessions spread over four months for free. To find out more please contact your local health coach:
New Kingshold Community Centre
49 Ainsworth Road (off Well Street), London E9 7JE
Shoreditch Trust Healthy Living Centre
170 Pitfield Street, London N1 6JP
Teresa Buckland, firstname.lastname@example.org or 07584 598 086.
Stamford Hill Community Centre
Stamford Hill, London N16 6RZ
Jo Williams, email@example.com or 07584 604 242.
Fridays, 10.45am-2pm - meet outside Nye Bevan Lower Community Hall, Overbury Street, E5 0AW
A new and innovative way to get physically active and make a difference to your local environment, run by TCV (The Conservation Volunteers) in partnership with the Council. Green Gym activities take place at The Middlesex Filter Beds Nature Reserve in Hackney. If you're a resident, you can join the programme for free.
Tasks are designed for a variety of fitness levels and emphasise improving mental and physical well being. Contact Ben Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org or 07989 167 831 to find out more or join.
We have been piloting the Health Heroes project in several of the borough's primary schools since 2013/14 and have tested a number of interventions from food growing and gardening, to playground zoning and lunch-time sports activities.
We have launched a new grants programme, where schools can bid for match funding to run projects to help create healthy weight environments within schools by either increasing physical activity, or improving access to and/or knowledge of healthy food.
The first round of grants applications have now closed. If you require any additional information please contact email@example.com.
HENRY is a free 8-week healthy lifestyle and parenting programme for parents and carers with 0-5 year olds. Sessions run in venues across Hackney. For more information please tel: 020 7683 409, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up to change4life for helpful information, recipes, tools, tips, and games for kids.
Improve your health and wellbeing with our social prescribing service, giving you access to activities, social groups, services and advice, based on your needs and interests. Make an appointment today and speak to a family action wellbeing co-ordinator who works at your local GP surgery in Hackney - ring Family Action on 0207 249 8109.
MakeKit is a Hackney social enterprise that produces affordable healthy recipe kits for local residents. Each kit contains everything needed to make a nutritious meal at home, including pre-measured ingredients and an easy-to-follow recipe. A four person family Make Kit is £10.55 and a two person kit is £6.55. Click and collect is available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at Fellows Court Community Centre, Haggerston E2 8LR.
Make Kit is being supported by our Healthier Hackney Fund, which provides funding and support to groups looking to make Hackney healthier. Order your first pack today or follow them on Twitter: @makekitfood.
We've developed two documents as part of our cross-cutting Get Hackney Healthy work, which aims to promote healthy lifestyles for children and families.
The early years settings and children's centre healthy weight guidance helps early years settings create environments where children can maintain a healthy weight and provides information on our healthy living and obesity services and advice on how to evaluate any services you commission.
The Hackney childhood obesity framework: 0-5 provides a vision for working in partnership to reduce childhood obesity and includes national and local data alongside information on healthy weight services available for under 5s across the system.