This year is the 100th anniversary of women over 30 getting the vote for the first time in the UK. This paved the way for universal suffrage 10 years later when women won equal voting rights to men.
Throughout the year, we'll be celebrating the achievements of local women, past and present, and the contribution they make to our communities through various events and exhibitions.
As part of this, we are looking to showcase 100 Hackney women who are driving change and making a difference in their community.
Nominate a Hackney woman
We asked residents to nominate a Hackney woman living or working in Hackney and driving change in their community. For example:
- women in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM)
- young leaders
- community volunteers
- equality campaigners, including LGBTQI+, disability rights, race and discrimination
- those helping to end violence against women
- arts and culture, including writers, poets, spoken word artists, directors
- women in public life, including politicians and business leaders
- women in public services, including the police force, fire brigade and NHS staff
We also asked participants to include a photograph of the nominee with 100-200 words explaining why they should be celebrated as part of the 100 Hackney women.
Nominations are now closed.