Cycle parking and security
We’ve invested heavily in installing over 2,500 publicly accessible on-street cycle parking spaces, as well as cycle stands at many workplaces, in schools and at all local rail stations.
Bike lockers and cycle racks have also been installed on Hackney Housing estates and we have installed some secure cycle parking on residential streets as a trial.
On this page:
We offer secure green ‘bread bin’ cycle hangars for residents across the borough.
A space in one costs £42 a year on street, and £30 a year on estates, plus a £25 key deposit. Due to the high level of demand, we operate a waiting list, and there’s a restriction of one space per resident.
- pay your annual renewal fee for your hangar space
- order a replacement key
- cancel your space
- report a problem with your hangar
Read our FAQs for cycle hangar renters:
If you’d like to apply for a space in a cycle hangar, you will need to register your interest. If you’re a couple or a group of people, you’ll need to register your interest separately, as we are only able to offer one space per person due to the level of demand for the service.
You can register your interest in up to 5 hangars in your area.
Available spaces will be offered to the residents who have been on the waiting list for each hangar the longest.
You’ll also be automatically considered for any new hangars installed near your home.
Before you apply
- create an account – you can also log in with your existing details if you have a parking or bulky waste account
- select ‘on street hangar’ or ‘estate cycle hangar’ (available to residents of council-managed estates only)
- if you haven’t used the system before you’ll need to enter your personal details before you can access the cycle hangar registration
- select the hangar(s) that you would like to register for, or choose to be notified about new hangars in your area
- submit your registration
- once the registration has been submitted you will be able to review the registration date that has been allocated and if required update your selections (the unique code will be required if updating your registration)
Read our FAQs for residents awaiting a space in a hangar:
We are trialling cycle parking racks in the shape of cars – car bike ports – which are able to take ten bicycles in a single car parking space. We have three of these at the moment and are testing them out in different locations for up to eight weeks at a time. We are moving them around the borough to see where they get the most use.
So look out for them, use them and vote with your bike. Where they get used most we will consider making them permanent.
The car bike ports have visited streets including Wilton Way, Finsbury Park Road, Provost Street, Jackman Street, Fremont Street and Gransden Avenue. To suggest a site for a new bike rack:
If you’re an estate resident, you can benefit from a reduced rate of £30 per year when renting a place in a cycle hangar. Register your interest.
In some instances there may be other cycle parking schemes managed more locally. To find out more about these please contact your housing officer directly.
We install high quality Sheffield stands where there is high demand for cycle parking. Where there is no space for Sheffield stands, we can attach cycle hoops to lampposts and bollards. Click on the map markers for street names and location details.