Request a council tax refund

If you have received a notice showing that your account is in credit, then you can get a refund of the amount overpaid.

Request a refund

Direct debit refund

If you have overpaid your direct debit because you have moved, you should take the following steps:

  1. Complete the change of address form so we can amend your account when our systems are restored.
  2. Contact your bank to cancel your direct debit and avoid further overpayments.
  3. Claim an immediate refund directly from your bank under the DD guarantee by making an indemnity claim for your last payment. The bank will then contact us to claim back their refund to you and we will adjust your account to take this into account. If this results in a balance to pay, we will contact you for that payment. If an additional credit remains, we will refund that in due course, once we have our systems restored. 

If you have overpaid your direct debit for any other reason take steps 2-3 above and complete the form to request a refund, and it will be dealt with when normal service resumes. 

Request a direct debit refund

Page updated on: 28 October 2021

Council tax contact line


Opening times

  • Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm


Save time by reporting a change of address or applying for discounts or exemptions now. If you think your bill is wrong or have any other queries, use our enquiry form. 

General enquiries 

Contact us