Domestic building works

We are here to help you from start to finish, ensuring the improvements you make are safe, secure and sustainable.

We will work closely with you and your builder to provide:

  • start to end support with your own dedicated building control surveyor
  • free pre-application advice on all matters relative to the proposed project
  • full integration with planning processes to ensure that from the outset your project will comply with building regulations
  • competitive fixed fees so you know the costs upfront
  • detailed local knowledge about ground conditions and construction techniques typical in the borough
  • expert advice on fire safety, structural engineering, and mechanical and electrical engineering by our specialist professional officers
  • comprehensive plan checking to ensure compliance with the building regulations
  • confirmed inspection appointments within 24 hours of being requested
  • a full complement of site inspections

Do you have planning permission?

Please ensure you have planning permission in place before applying for your building work. Not all building work requires planning permission but it is always best to check first.

Phone the duty planner: 020 8356 8062
Visit the duty planner:  Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays) 10am to 12noon and 2pm to 4pm at Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street, Hackney, E8 1DY

Are your works exempt from the building regulations?

Find out if your building works are exempt from the building regulations.

What type of application do you need?

Once you are in a position to proceed with your building work, there are three typical building control application types.

Full plans application

First we will assess all your plans and ensure compliance with the regulations then arrange inspections once the build begins.

Building notice application

This is useful for smaller works where all assessment takes place during the inspections.

Regularisation application

This is used when proper approval was not gained for completed building work. In this instance, you can retrospectively apply and we will inspect the works to verify everything has been completed correctly. Fees for this application are paid in full when making your application.

See application types for more information on each of these applications.


Our fees are competitive and fixed. This will provide you with certainty about the cost of your building project.

Apply and pay

Submit an application Pay for your application

In person or by post

For full plans, building notice, or regularisation applications, download and complete the following application form:

Submit it together with your cheque (made payable to London Borough of Hackney), in person or by post to: Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street, London E8 1DY.

Street naming and numbering

If you building work results in conversion of a house or basement into flats you will need to arrange for new street numbering. For more information visit street naming and numbering.

Local Authority Building Control (LABC) warranties

LABC warranties are the fastest growing warranty provider in the market. The 10 year warranty has full Council of Mortgage Lenders approval across the banking sector and also includes a full risk transfer policy to give both builders and homeowners peace of mind.

Do I have to use Hackney Building Control for my project?

Building control is a competitive industry and you may choose to use an approved inspector to carry out your inspections and provide the completion certificate.

In this instance, our only responsibility is to retain a record of the works for future enquiries about your home. This is especially important should you choose to sell the property. To achieve this it is the responsibility of the approved inspector to provide us with an initial notice before the works begin and a copy of the completion certificate once the works are complete.

Likewise, protocols established within the building control industry do not allow us to intervene in any disputes that may arise during or as a result of the building works being assessed by an approved inspector.

Should we receive third party enquiries or complaints about the works to your home and we have not received the required documents as proof that the works were done in accordance with the building regulations, enforcement action may result or you may be required to apply for a regularisation application. This application is the only way we can meet the Building Act requirements and verify the works were completed satisfactorily and in accordance with the Building Regulations.

Party wall matters

Matters relating to party walls including disputes are civil matters outside the remit of the local authority.

Building over or near a sewer

Get in touch

If you have any queries about domestic building works, please contact us by completing the following form or call us on the telephone numbers below:

Contact us

Page updated on: 10 July 2019

Building Control Service


Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY

Opening times

  • Mon to Fri 9am - 5pm (phone calls only)