We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.
Christmas and New Year opening times
We will be closed from 7.30pm Thursday 19 December 2019 and re-open at 10am on Tuesday 7 January 2020. Due to staff leave we will be unable to respond to email enquiries during this time. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.
User support and enquiries
We have a small team of archivists to support your research needs. If you can’t find what you’re looking for online, contact us in advance of your visit.
We regret that we are unable to carry out research. For details of professional researchers, please contact the Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives (AGRA).
To protect the unique and fragile information, collections are stored in controlled environmental conditions and must be ordered in advance. To guarantee next day access please order before 4pm the day before you would like to visit, or up to a week in advance.
Registering to access the archives
We now register all users who request access to the archives. This is a simple identification process (debit card) and requires proof of address (utilities bill, driving license or Hackney library card). Please bring this with you on your first visit. All personal data will be securely managed.
Open access information
The following material relating to the local area is available in the search room and does not need to be ordered in advance:
- newspapers on microfilm
- a selection of books, pamphlets and published reports
- over 15,000 historic photos and images on searchable database
- historic ordnance survey and other local maps
- street and trade directories from the 1840s-1990s
- birth, marriage and burial registers on microfilm (not all local churches)
- census records 1841-1901
- electoral registers for Hackney: almost all registers between 1965 and 2014, a few edited versions only
- free access to library edition of Ancestry.com available on 8 public computers
Search collections online
- search the catalogue or read our tips on searching the catalogue
These guides are useful starting points and will help you to explore our collections:
Publications and local history resources for sale
- view the items for sale
All items for sale are available in our shop in the search room. If you cannot visit, orders can be place by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Payment is required in advance of delivery via cheque or credit card.