Apply to the EU settlement scheme

Who needs to apply for settled status?

You need to apply if:

  • you’re an EEA national and have been in the UK for any amount of time
  • you’re an EEA national and your children were born in the UK (your children will also need to apply)
  • your parents are EU nationals and you were born in the UK
  • you gained permanent residence through an EU treaty right

You don’t need to apply if you have:

Read more about who can apply on

Applying for settled status

The deadline for EU, EEA or Swiss citizens, and their families to apply to the government’s EU settlement scheme (EUSS) was 30 June 2021.

If you or your family are from the EU, EEA or are Swiss citizens, you can still apply if you or a family member were living in the UK on or before 31 December 2020.

You must also either:

  • meet one of the criteria for a later deadline to apply
  • have ‘reasonable grounds’ for not applying by 30 June 2021

See for criteria and reasonable grounds.

You can also apply if you already have pre-settled status, and you’re applying for settled status.

If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status.

  • settled status – for those who have lived in the UK for at least 5 consecutive years
  • pre-settled status – for those who have lived in the UK for less than 5 years. Individuals are given 5 years leave to remain, after which they can convert to settled status

Apply for settled status

How to prove your settled or pre-settled status and issue a share code (available in multiple languages)

How to conduct right to work checks using a share code (available in multiple languages)

Help with verifying your identity

As part of the application process, you’ll be required to verify your identity.

  • if you’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you need a valid passport or valid national identity card
  • if you’re from outside the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you need to provide a valid passport, or a biometric residence card or permit (within its expiry date)

If you don’t have the right ID documents you may be able to use other evidence. If you need help or advice about proof of identity contact:

  • EU Settlement Resolution Centre – tel 0300 123 7379 between 8am to 8pm on weekdays, and 9.30am and 4.30pm on weekends and bank holidays

What happens if EU nationals don’t apply for settled status?

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, or your right to be in the UK is as a family member of an EU national, and you don’t apply for settled status, you’ll no longer have a right to live in the UK.

This means that you will lose access to employment and benefits, as well as being subject to other sanctions, such as being unable to rent a home, or get free NHS healthcare. You could also be subject to Home Office enforcement action.

It’s therefore important that all EU, EEA or Swiss citizens who don’t have indefinite leave to remain,  apply for settled status

Support for EU citizens

If you’re an EU citizen and don’t have settled or pre-settled status, you can still get help from:

Advice for businesses

Doing business with Europe has changed. If you run a business in Hackney, you will need to follow new rules on exports, imports, tariffs, data and hiring.

Use the government’s Brexit checker to find out what the new rules mean for your business and the action you need to take to keep your business moving.

It is likely that there will continue to be disruption for businesses as the UK’s new trade agreement with the EU is fully implemented.

Sign up to the Hackney Business Network to receive email updates and useful information.

You can also find useful advice and information from:

Page updated on: 22 September 2021