Play is an important part of every child's development and essential both to their health and happiness.
Play areas within Hackney's parks
- Allens Gardens, Bethune Road, N16 5BD
- Broadway Market Green, Jackman Street, E8 4QX
- Butterfield Green, Wordsworth Road, Spenser Grove, Shakespeare Walk, N16 8DD (three play areas)
- Clapton Common, E5 9AA
- Clapton Square, E5 8HP
- Clissold Park, Green Lanes, N4 2EY
- Daubeney Fields, Kings Mead Way, E9 5PP
- De Beauvoir Square, N1 4LG
- Hackney Downs, E5 8NP
- Haggerston Park, Yorkton Street, E2 8NH
- Kynaston Gardens, Kynaston Avenue, N16 0DA
- London Fields, Eleanor Road, London Fields East Side, E8 3EU (two play areas)
- Millfields Park, Chatsworth Road, E5 0AR
- Shepherdess Walk, N1 7JN
- Shoreditch Park, New North Road, N1 6TA
- Springfield Park, Springfield, E5 9EF
- St Johns Churchyard Gardens, E5 0PD
- Stoke Newington Common, Northwold Road, N16 7DH
- Stonebridge Gardens, Haggerston Road, E8 4EP
- Well Street Common, E9 7AS
- West Hackney Recreation Ground, Evering Road, N16 7QA
- Apples and Pears Adventure Playground, Pearson Street, E2 8EL. Tel: 020 7729 6062.
- Evergreen Adventure Playground, Beehive Close, (off Richmond Road), E8 3JT. Tel: 020 7275 9004.
- Hackney March Adventure Playground, Daubney Fields (off Kingsmead Way), E9 5PP. Tel: 020 8986 7245.
- Homerton Grove Adventure Playground, Wardle Street E9 5QG. Tel: 020 8985 9202.
- Kidsactive Adventure Playground Hackney (KAPH), Spring lane, Big Hill, Clapton E5 9HQ (Open to all if spaces are available, but priority given to children with special needs). Tel: 020 8806 6149.
- Shakespeare Walk Adventure Playground, Shakespeare Walk, N16 8TL. Tel: 020 7249 8405.
- Shoreditch Adventure Playground, Mintern Street N1 5EF. Tel: 020 7729 3770.
This is a groundbreaking scheme that closes selected streets to through traffic, turning them into play streets. You can apply for a temporary play street order, which allows you to close your street for up three hours per week or month.
Find more information on the importance of play in the Mayor of London's supplementary planning guidance, shaping neighbourhoods: play and informal recreation (PDF), which features a number of Hackneys plays areas.
Page updated: 30 Jul 2014